AIA San Francisco - The Missing 32% Project presents:
Equity by Design: Knowledge, Discussion, Action!
@ San Francisco Art Institute: 800 Chestnut Street, San Francisco
The Missing 32% Project serves as a call to action for both women and men who mutually believe that equitable practice is critical to advancing Architecture as a sustainable profession and a key to communicating its true value to society. Our mission is to understand the pinch points that can occur during career progression and champion best practices for the recruitment, hiring, promotion and retention of our profession’s top talent in order to expand diversity, increase career opportunities and ultimately raise awareness of the invaluable services that Architects provide.
In the beginning of 2014, The Missing 32% Project launched the first ever Equity in Architecture Survey as part of a multi-year research project to promote the discussion and inspire change within the profession. The overwhelming response from the local and national community contributed to a research effort that has helped to provide a glimpse into the status of the profession and the challenges that must be addressed to preserve its value and relevance for future generations.
This year, join AIA San Francisco: The Missing 32% Project for our 3rd symposium that is named for our ambitious mission. Equity by Design: Knowledge, Discussion, Action! will be a day of highly informative and inspiring program to be held at the San Francisco Art Institute, one of the city's richest architectural assets with dynamic and interactive spaces. We will be presenting the long awaited results of the Equity in Architecture Survey in panel discussions focused in 3 major knowledge sessions: Hiring & Retention, Growth & Development, Meaning and Influence. These will set the stage for highly interactive small break-out sessions in a variety of relevant topics and formats where we will use our design thinking skills to problem solve the challenging issues that confront architects, emerging professionals, and firm leadership in empowering and actionable ways to transform the profession.
Sample Agenda (PDF Download) and Break-Out Session Topics:
Hiring and Retention:
1. You’re Hired! Strategies for a stand-out resume, portfolio and interview.
2. Designing Culture: Workplace innovations to attract, grow & keep talent.
3. What's Flex Got to do with it? Win-Win Strategies that Work for Life
Growth and Development
1. Confidence vs. Competence - Knowing and Leveraging Our Worth.
2. Negotiation is a Power Tool: Strategies for effective outcomes.
3. What is your Brand? Why Does it Matter? - A Social Media Boot Camp
Meaning and Influence
1. Cultivating Leaders: Bridging the Gap from Merit to Success
2. Multi-Disciplinary Practice: Expanding the Influence of Architecture
3. From Employee to Entrepreneur: What does it take to succeed?